Tuesday, November 23, 2004

 

You have perfect religious freedom - you're free to follow my religion

From Jill of Brilliant At Breakfast:
In the Name of God

Scalia's at it again, with his selective use of "original intent", claiming that a nation that litters everything that isn't nailed down with the word "God" is not religion-neutral.

Since he said this in front of a Jewish group, he decided to invoke the Holocaust this time to demonstrate the inevitable result of separation of church and state:
"Did it turn out that, by reason of the separation of church and state, the Jews were safer in Europe than they were in the United States of America? I don't think so."
For Scalia to play the Holocaust card in trying to convince Jews that an imposition of a Christian theocracy is what the Founding Fathers wanted is just appalling. And he doesn't know his Hitler very well either:
I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord's work." -- Adolph Hitler, speech to the Reichstag, 1936

"I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator." -- Adolph Hitler, Mein Kampf, pg. 46
Gee, that sounds like the thought patterns of another world leader we know, doesn't it?
"I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job." -- George W. Bush, Lancaster County, July 2004

"God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East." -- George W. Bush
Note: I don't think this qualifies as a violation of Godwin's Law, merely a rather easy comparison. If the shoe fits, etc., etc.

What she says about Scalia is dead on. His shameless attempt to impose his narrow views on society - while pretending he is doing no such thing - along with his cruel contempt for the consequences of his rulings on actual living, breathing human beings trying to live real lives, make him only the most objectionable of current so-called "conservatives" infecting our society. For him to attempt to feign any genuine human feeling - such as sympathy with the victims of Adolf Hitler - merely makes his breathtaking hypocrisy almost - almost - appealing as an art form if nothing else.
What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" does Mr. Scalia not understand? As for spattering the word "God" like graffiti all over the place, obviously Scalia is ignorant of the fact that the words "In God We Trust" were added to the currency during the Civil War, NOT by the Founding Fathers. "God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance not by the Founding Fathers, but in the 1950's as a McCarthyite response to "Godless Communism."
Nice bit of history there, but probably useless, considering that Scalia has at times denied the value of knowing anything about history, such as the actual intent of Congress when passing a law he decides he doesn't like.

Basically, in George Bush's America, it has somehow become a denial of someone's religious freedom to argue that he doesn't have the right to force his beliefs on everyone else. I seriously doubt that's what the Founders had in mind.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?