Wednesday, December 22, 2004

 

If they ever really do come for the Christians, it'll be us liberals protecting them

As I've said before, I can't blog everything. But that's not going to stop me from trying. This is just brilliantly written.
Why does America hate Christmas?

I am so sick of these whiney evangelical Christian bigots (yes, I know all evangelical Christians aren't bigots, I'm talking about the bigoted ones). Yes, Christianity is under attack in a country that's overwhelmingly Christian. It's almost as if you're afraid to tell anyone you're Christian or you might lose your job. And Congress and the president are even trying to pass a constitutional amendment making Christians second-class citizens.

Oh, wait a minute. That's gay people.

So sick of these morons and their culture war. They want a civil war in this country, and I fear they're going to get one.
As a kid, I was always a bit upset when Christmas was so pushed in my school, especially as I was not the only Jewish kid in my class. Obviously, I survived intact, but nobody should ever be made to feel like they don't belong. To the extent that any Christian feels now the way I did as a kid, that is not good, but on the other hand, it's hard to argue that they should know what it feels like, so that maybe they'll be more sensitive in the future. Of course, following George W. Bush's overwhelming triumph last month, I guess the Christian Reich feels like sensitivity is so Bill Clinton and they want to be muscular stormtroopers for the One True Faith. Fred Phelps can shriek about how God hates fags all he wants, but the minute one kid can't sing one carol in one school, Christianity is all of a sudden the faith that dare not speak its name.

This is not about forcing Christians to be quiet. It's about not letting them make the rest of us be quiet. This is our country, too. If America can't be a place where the majority is solicitous of its minorities, then this country has lost all its meaning.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?