Wednesday, December 22, 2004

 

My gorge may rise again

As No More Mister Nice Blog says, Yikes.

Yikes, indeed.
Teen sues school over Confederate dress

LEXINGTON - A teenager is suing her eastern Kentucky school district for barring her from the prom for wearing a red dress styled as a large Confederate flag.

School officials called Jacqueline Duty's homemade dress too controversial and kept her out of Russell High School's May 1 prom.

At a news conference in front of the federal courthouse in Lexington on Monday, Duty acknowledged that some might find the Confederate flag offensive.

"Everyone has their own opinion. But that's not mine. I'm proud of where I came from and my background," said the 19-year-old who is now attending Shawnee State University in Ohio.
Pride in keeping dem darkies as slaves? (Although some Christian school in North Carolina recently was using pamphlets in class that argued how good slavery was for the darkies! So I guess the North fought that mean ol' Civil War for nothing.)

Steve goes on to say:
You know, this is a tough one. How would I feel if a kid were excluded from a prom for wearing something with an anti-war message? I'd lean toward free speech, I think - although a dress code that bans controversial messages (of all kinds) in school and at school-sponsored events could be reasonable, in the interest of civility.

Still, I think I'd say controversial messages should be allowed. So I'd also have to say that Jacqueline Duty should have been allowed to attend her prom in this dress.

And then, ideally, she would have been shunned by all decent people.
A political message that may be controversial is one thing. But an openly racist symbol? And don't be misled, the Confederate Flag is not about "pride" or "heritage" or any such shit - it's about racism, pure and simple. How could this woman have graduated from high school without any kind of moral compass? How could she have gotten into college?

But I suppose she loves Jeeeeeeeeeeezus, so that makes her bigotry and ignorance all okay.
Comments:
I like your blog. This site has other stuff like prom dress for 2003
that you might find interesting.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Comments: "
I like your blog. This site has other stuff like prom dress for 2003
that you might find interesting.
 
" Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?