Friday, March 25, 2005

 

Friday Blog Blogging - A Lot More No More Mister Nice Blog

A month I ago, I reported the sad news that Steve of the brilliant No More Mister Nice Blog had decided to hang up his - whatever it is he was blogging with. Well, he has changed his mind (or had it changed - "Ve haff vayz uff makink you blog") and returned to his keyboard, which is among the rare examples of recent good news in this wicked wicked world.

Recently he has been at the very top of his game. I can't quote everything he's written, so I'll just point to several of his posts, which have just blown me away.

1)
Right-wing pundit Debra J. Saunders, writing about the Terri Schiavo case in the San Francisco Chronicle:

...spare me the rhetoric about Republicans being hypocrites on states' rights -- fresh from the mouths of Democrats who don't want to let Alaskans drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, who don't want states to determine their own gun-control laws and couldn't wait for the feds to storm the home of the Miami family of Elian Gonzalez.

Wow, I learned a lot from that.

* I learned that it's Alaskans who want to drill in ANWR. All by themselves! With no involvement by multinational oil companies! Gosh, I had no idea it was so grassroots. And I learned that it's none of my business what's done with a national wildlife refuge established by the Eisenhower administration, expanded a generation later by an act of Congress, and administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

* On Elian, I learned that issues of immigration devolved to the states while I wasn't looking, sometime during the last five years. The Immigration and Nationalization Service? Utterly irrelevant! And the members of Congress who wanted to give Elian permanent U.S. residency? They were, er, um ... well, they were doing Good, so it was OK for them to try to use the national government to resolve this 100% states'-rights issue!
2)
Jeb actually had the unmitigated gall to say this:

"I'm doing everything within my power to make sure that Terri is afforded at least the same rights that criminals convicted of heinous crimes take for granted," Bush said.

"If a prisoner comes forward with new DNA evidence 20 years after his conviction that suggests his innocence, there is no doubt the courts in our state and all across the country, for that matter, will immediately review their case. We should do no less for Terri Schiavo," Bush said.


Here's the reality in Bush's own state:

Under the law, passed in 2001 and sponsored by Sen. Alex Villalobos, R-Miami, anyone convicted of a crime has two years after a sentence becomes final to ask a judge to review DNA testing of physical evidence.

And in 2003, when the first criminals faced a deadline under the law, this was the response:

Villalobos says he's open to weighing the request for a time extension, but Gov. Jeb Bush is not considering such a move, said Jill Bratina, a spokeswoman for the governor.

There isn't a circle of hell low enough for Jeb.
There's more, but go read for yourself.

Oh, and check out Digby, too.
Comments:
I love your information on dna testing! I bookmarked your blog and will be back soon. If you want, check out my blog on dna testing secrets, please come by!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Comments: "
I love your information on dna testing! I bookmarked your blog and will be back soon. If you want, check out my blog on dna testing secrets, please come by!
 
" Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?